The end of the year is a very busy period for most of us. With spring cleaning, and preparations for Chinese New Year, majority of would consider ordering in. Here at V-Care, we love our one-pot recipes that are homely and easy to prepare. Sharing with you one of our favourite one-pot recipes – Brown Rice with Pork and Veggie by Jen Jen (@limjenjen), we hope you choose home-cooked food over takeaways!
This recipe serves 4 to 5:
- 2.5 cups of uncooked brown rice
- 250g pork belly, sliced into strips
- 2 Chinese sausage, casing removed, sliced
- 8 brown button mushroom, cut into quarters
- 1 carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 corn, cut corn kernels off the cob
- 1 bunch French beans, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 thumbsized ginger, chopped
- 1 litre chicken broth or water
- 3 tbsp vegetable cooking oil
- light soy sauce to taste
- sesame oil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Add vegetable oil in Zenez non-stick wok, stir fry pork until cooked. Add ginger, onion, garlic to combine. Continue to stir fry.
2. Add brown rice to combine, stir fry and add broth/water. Stir to mix well.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients (sausage, mushroom, carrot, corn, bean) to combine. Ensure the water level is just sufficient to cover all ingredients. Bring to boil in high heat. You may taste the broth at this stage. Adjust the taste with light soy sauce, salt, pepper, and sesame oil.
4. Cover the wok, reduce the heat to med low. Continue to stir to mix well occasionally to prevent the rice from burning at the base. Add more broth or water if necessary throughout the cooking process.
5. When the broth is absorbed by the rice, taste to check if the rice is thoroughly cooked through. Once cooked, remove from heat and garnish with green onion before serving.
*Recipe and photos curtesy of Jen Jen (@limjenjen)